We dip our maror into charoset during the seder to commemorate our toil in Egypt.It recalls the mortar that the Jews used to build the Egyptian buildings.
This standard Ashkenazi (Eastern European) Charoset recipe is taken from epicurious.com.
- 3 medium Gala or Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups walnut halves, lightly toasted, cooled, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- In large bowl, stir together all ingredients. Store, covered, at room temperature until ready to serve.
Notes: For the most even texture, we recommend dicing the apples by hand. However, to save time, you can chop them in the food processor— just be careful not to overprocess.